Body Contouring after Weight Loss
If you have lost an extensive amount of weight, and especially if that weight loss has been rapid due to, for example, weight loss surgery, then you have probably already discovered an uncomfortable truth: skin that has been stretched does not shrink down to match your new, slimmer frame. Many individuals who have succeeded in their weight loss goals find their results undermined by loose, hanging skin. Unfortunately, this excess skin can, if not treated, result in aesthetic and/or emotional concerns, such as:
- Hygiene issues, including rashes, infectious sores, and even mobility restrictions
- Uneven or disproportionate body contours due to excess amounts of loose, sagging skin
- Difficulty finding clothes that fit correctly
- Frustration due to being unable to see the results of your weight loss efforts
Cosmetic “body lift” surgery offers one of the most effective methods of reducing the excess skin while simultaneously lifting, tightening, and shaping the remaining skin to meet your new, slimmer frame. It is important to note that “body lift” surgery is not just for individuals who have accomplished extensive weight loss; it may also be appropriate for individuals who simply have excess loose skin due to childbearing, hormonal changes, or other reasons. Moreover, what we have collectively called “body lift” surgery is actually a collection of different “lift” surgeries, each of which targets a specific part of the body—arms, abdomen, back, legs, etc—and each of which can be performed alone or in conjunction depending on your specific body contouring needs.
Dr. Stephen M. Becker, Board certified plastic surgeon in Alcoa, Tennessee specializes in the full range of body shaping “lift” surgeries required to help you achieve your aesthetic goals and finally enjoy the full fruits of your weight loss accomplishment! Dr. Becker is a meticulous surgeon with the warm, caring bedside manner of your small-town family physician. He will work closely with you to develop an individually-tailored, fully-customized surgical plan designed to specifically target your problem areas and specifically achieve the results you want.
Body Contouring “Lift” Options with Dr. Stephen M. Becker
Ever body contouring surgery that Dr. Becker performs in entirely unique. Each procedure involves one or more techniques all individually-tailored to address the specific concerns of each patient; therefore, every procedure varies significantly in terms of scope and extensiveness. In general, however, body lift surgery usually focuses on one or more of the following areas: buttocks, groin, thighs, hips, and/or abdomen (extending around the sides to the lower back region), and upper arms.
- Lower body lift: The most comprehensive surgery targeting hips, waist, buttocks, abdomen, and thighs in a single procedure.. It is a major surgery, involving an incision around the entire circumference of the body through which an apron of excess fat and skin is removed. The remaining skin is then tightened and repositioned.
- Thigh Lift: A thigh lift specifically targets loose, hanging skin on the medial thigh and overhanging the knee. The excess skin is removed through an incision in the inner thigh, while the remaining skin is elevated to create a pleasing, shapely leg contour.
- Thoracoplasty: This technical-sounding procedure is designed to create a slimmer torso, including the chest and back, especially the so-called “bra roll” for women. For men, the goal is to create a flat, shapely chest.
- Brachioplasty: Also known as an “arm lift”, this technique targets excess fatty tissue and loose, hanging skin of the upper arm. For most patients, excess skin is removed through an incision on the inside of the upper arm, taking care to place it where it will be least visible, while the remaining skin is tightened to reveal a toned, shapely arm.
For patients who are at or near their ideal weight but still have some accumulation of excess fatty tissue, Dr. Becker may recommend performing liposuction along with the lift surgery in order to remove excess fat. It is important to note that patients who avoid additional weight loss should enjoy the results of their body shaping surgery for many years; however, future weight gain will cause the skin the stretch again and could undermine long-term results.
Contact Dr. Stephen M. Becker
Dr. Stephen M. Becker and his team of professionals conduct a wide range of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures with the highest degree of attention to individualized treatment plans and superior patient care. Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon Dr. Stephen M. Becker is a well trained and experienced surgeon with exemplary skills in the delicate art of aesthetic surgery. Whether you’re seeking to repair cosmetic damage from injury, turn back the clock on aging or just be the best version of “you”, a detailed consultation with Dr. Stephen M. Becker in our Alcoa, Tennessee office will guide you towards treatment options that will help you attain your desired aesthetic effects with the least amount of discomfort or downtime.