Male Breast Reduction Surgery for the Correction of Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia, or the excess growth of glandular breast tissue in males, can be the source of extreme embarrassment and often adversely affects many men’s self-confidence and self-esteem. Although many men will outgrow this condition after puberty, unfortunately, this is not always the case, especially for men who have undergone extreme weight loss. While you may have gotten away with hiding under baggy clothes or avoiding removing your shirt in public, surgery offers a highly effective, permanent way to correct gynecomastia and restore your contoured, masculine chest!
When should you consider gynecomastia treatment?
- If you avoid removing your shirt in public
- If you are reluctant to swim or participate in sports or other activities
- If you desire to improve your body proportions
- If your self-confidence or self-esteem is being negatively affected
Dr. Stephen M. Becker, Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon is happy to be able to offer his patients in the Alcoa, Tennessee area a solution to gynecomastia. At our state-of-the-art facility, gynecomastia can be safely and effectively improved or even completely corrected through breast reduction surgery. Dr. Becker and his professional staff are ready to work with you to find the best possible plan of care to give you flat, masculine pecs!
Gynecomastia Surgical Options
The specific technique used to correct gynecomastia depends on the severity of the physical aspect of the breast gland itself. Since each patient’s situation is different, we will recommend the best of course of action after an in-person consultation and thorough physical examination. Most gynecomastia procedures will involve one or both of these options:
- Liposuction: In cases where the gynecomastia only involves excess fat and glandular tissue, a surgical liposuction procedure can disrupt and permanently remove the excess tissue.
- Surgical Excision: When extra skin is also present in addition to fat and glandular tissue, a surgical excision of the skin itself may be required. The skin is removed through incisions around the nipple, with care being taken to camouflage scars in the area where the color changes. In more severe cases, an incision in the chest fold might also be required.
These procedures are both done on an outpatient basis and recovery is usually about 5-10 days. Any drains placed in the surgical site to eliminate the build-up of excess fluid should be removed about 5 days after the procedure, after which patients can slowly resume light activities as swelling disappears and the incisions heal. You should consult with Dr. Becker before resuming strenuous exercise and heavy lifting.
Contact Dr. Stephen M. Becker
Dr. Stephen M. Becker and his team of professionals conduct a wide range of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures with the highest degree of attention to individualized treatment plans and superior patient care. Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon Dr. Stephen M. Becker is a well trained and experienced surgeon with exemplary skills in the delicate art of aesthetic surgery. Whether you’re seeking to repair cosmetic damage from injury, turn back the clock on aging or just be the best version of “you”, a detailed consultation with Dr. Stephen M. Becker in our Alcoa, Tennessee office will guide you towards treatment options that will help you attain your desired aesthetic effects with the least amount of discomfort or downtime.